April 22, 2007

Ah, yes, tennis weather is finally here

The weather is warming up and that means tennis!

I was fortunate to be able to play both yesterday and today in beautiful 80 degree weather and it felt wonderful. In fact, it was really hot in the sun today.

I started playing tennis about 40 years ago when the town I grew up in offered free lessons at the high school courts. And I lived only one block from the school. The first year it was a recreation department provided racquet - wood of course, there was no titanium then. And I was hooked. I played for the next 15 years as much as I could. In school, I played varsity doubles for three years and even went out for the team in college. But in college, I was not interested in missing classes for matches, so I withdrew from try outs, but continued to play recreationally.

After college, I played occasionally, but when I met my husband, I pretty much gave it up since he didn't play. Four summers ago, I met a new friend who was a player and he agreed to play a little. I was still playing with a "red Head" which was "the" racquet in the late 1970's, but was miserably out dated and heavy. I purchased a new titanium racquet and I am back to playing as much as possible. I didn't realize how much I missed playing.

My husband still doesn't play, but as long as I can find an someone to hit the ball with, I will continue to play.

No comments: