April 27, 2007

CCD Coordinator - again!

Recently, I was asked to resume responsibility of overseeing the Religious Education program at my parish - again.

I was involved in the RE program for about 11 years. During that time I was a catechist for 5th grade for a year, 1st grade for 8 years and the coordinator for three years (one of which I was also teaching - not something I would recommend to anyone). Because my son was in high school and was involved in after school activities, and burn out from being involved, I decided that I needed a break from CCD and be available to shuttle my son around and watch his games. Fortunately, a new member of our parish volunteered to run the program and I was grateful to have a break. Unfortunately, he has many health problems and had to resign his position effective the end of this CCD year.

Our diocese is in the process of reviewing parishes and priestly needs and at the end of the process, many parishes may be consolidated with others, with my parish most probably being affected. Because the status of our parish is unknown, my pastor approached me and asked me to return to my previous role as coordinator for the next school year until our fate is known. After much thought and prayer, I agreed to accept the position and I am actually looking forward to it. Much has changed in the three years since I was involved, most for the better. Added to that the fact that my son will be going away to college in the fall, I think it will be good to be involved.

So, as I prepare to pack up my son for college this summer, I will also be preparing to pack up my briefcase to return to CCD.

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Do you know when we will find out the fates of the churches? We're in a "danger zone" ourselves....