April 05, 2007

Holy Thursday

This evening we will commorate the institution of the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Holy Orders as we celebrate the Lord's Supper and the beginning of the Triduum.

I don't really remember attending this celebration as a child. Maybe it was too late for me to be out, or maybe the washing of the feet was not done and therefore it did not stick in my mind. But for the last 8 years, my family has attended this moving service.

The first year we attended Holy Thursday was when my son was in fourth grade. As a new altar boy (before my parish fully accepted Vatican II we had only altar boys and not altar servers), he would be one of the twelve altar boys to have his feet washed. My parents attended with us and were proud that their grandson would be part of this ceremony. He has participated in this two more times since then.

Tonight, my husband will be among the twelve. This will be his second time . Last year, I was asked to participate and not only did I have my feet washed, I also washed the feet of some of the others. This was done so that we could appreciate that all should serve, not just our priest. Any way, this is one of my favorite parts of the Easter Triduum and I look forward to attending.

No comments: