April 15, 2009

Murphy's Law of Cleaning

I dislike cleaning. Maybe I should rephrase that. I would rather do most any other chore than cleaning. Especially bathrooms.

So it follows that this morning, while I was vacuuming upstairs, with a fairly new vacuum cleaner, in my husband's closet, a shoe polishing cloth (the ones you bring home from a hotel) got sucked up into the vacuum and caused one of the belts to break. Of course, I didn't realize this until after I pulled out the cloth and tried to finish vacuuming. And the vac didn't work in self-propelled mode or even in the regular mode. So I decided to take it apart and see if something else had been sucked up.

Imagine my surprise to find out that this machine (purchased around Christmas time) has two belts - one for the beater and one for the self-propelled mechanism. One was broken and the other was stretched so that it wasn't working either. So off I go in search of belts.

The Wal-Marts didn't have them. They didn't have any belts for Hoover machines. I was going to try the other Marts - the K variety - but the store is like a ghost town. So I headed one town down the river to an independent "sew and vac" store. I hit the mother lode - this store had ever belt and bag ever made. So fifteen minutes and fifteen dollars later, I was on my way home to put the new belts on the vacuum. And finish cleaning. Yippee!

1 comment:

abb said...

I am so very sorry you found those belts! If you hadn't, a mini vaca would have ensued!