January 04, 2012

New Year, New Whatever!

I'm sitting here, at 12:50 in the AM, wondering just where the heck 2011 went?  How about you?

So many things happened in 2011.  We rang in the New Year with wonderful neighbors.  We are so fortunate to not only call them neighbors, but friends.  In February, our favorite little buddy, Junior Bird Man spent a few days with us and we learned that IKEA has really good chicken tenders!  We traveled to San Diego and embarked on a two week cruise down the western coast of Mexico and Central America, through the Panama Canal and ended up in Ft. Lauderdale, creating many wonderful memories with my parents.

Our only child graduated from college in May and, after a brief visit home, moved to Connecticut to begin his working career.  I still can't believe that he's on his own.  He can't possibly be old enough.  And neither can I!!!

We traveled to North Carolina to vacation with Nurse Nancy, Fly Boy and Junior Birdman where we felt the earth move - literally.  We were there when the earthquake that was centered just outside of Washington DC happened.  I thought I was suffering from sun stroke.  Duh!

And September rolled around, and for the first time since our son was three, we didn't have to write any tuition check.   One year of part time pre-school and eighteen years of Catholic school (Pre-K 4 through college).  And we don't regret a single dime of it.  We were so fortunate to be able to give him an unusual graduation gift - no school loans to have to pay.  Having only one child, it was a bit easier for us, and with saving and planning, and a little help from some pretty wonderful grandparents (thanks Mom and Dad!).  So not writing a tuition check means that we can resume some pretty serious saving for retirement!

Knee surgery number three happened in 2011.  This time on my right knee! My resolution for 2012 is to get back to swimming at least three times a week.

Then we blinked and it was Thanksgiving and our son made his first trip home since June.  We did go to visit him, but once he started working, he just didn't have time to make the trip - seven hours of driving was a bit much for just a weekend.

And then it was Christmas, our first without our son.  Thankfully we could spend it with my parents and my nephew and his girlfriend, but waking up on Christmas morning without our son was a bit sad.  But a few days later, he came to visit for five days, including the New Year.  And we thoroughly enjoyed spending time with him.

And here we are, a few days into 2012 and there are so many things I want to do this year.  But before I start on any of them, I have some year end bookkeeping to do on our investment ventures.  And when those things are finished, and the Christmas decorations put away, I hope to begin doing some sewing, crafting and some heavy duty house cleaning.  And next year, I'll let you know how that goes!

5 comments:

Nurse Nancy said...

I hear you.....2011 went by like a blurr. I hope to spend some time in 2012 enjoying life and JBM. I see myself reflecting similarly way too soon!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Yes, it has been a wacky year for you. I'm sure Christmas was bittersweet without your son there to spend the day; hope that they can work out a "take turns" policy for the holidays. Wishing you all the best in 2012~

bichonpawz said...

Happy New Year! I don't know where 2011 went either!! Isn't it amazing that our kids keep getting older...yet we don't??

Thanks for stopping by!
Jeanne

The Single Nester said...

I cannot believe it is the 16th already. Where has the time gone?!

Sue said...

As we get older time speeds up don't you think...we also spent Christmas alone without the girls but they came on Jan. 2nd and just went back home yesterday....daughters divorce is final. They settled on the 12th. (their 10th wedding anniversary, what a gift!!)
Miss B is doing so well and adjusting to living at the "hotel".....she is such a happy kid....
glad to hear your parents are still able to travel...
I know your mom had some health issues...
as for the Bison head....it just creeps me out every time I have to walk past it.....Happy New Year!!!