August 05, 2014

Starting Over Again

Six years ago I wrote a post about the merger of my parish with another parish in town.  I was so very unhappy with the outcome of the merger and the promise of equality, which, of course, never happened.  I threatened to leave after a year if nothing changed.  At the time, it felt a bit like an empty threat because I thought things would change.  So, about a month ago, after waiting to see if the pastor would be transferred (he wasn't) or if things would change (they didn't) it was time to take action.  We finally changed parishes.

The past year, we have been attending another parish about a 20 minute drive from our house.  Our first trip there was the first weekend that a new pastor was there.  For the first time in a long while (except for going to churches when we were away) I felt like I had been to Mass.  People participated in the mass, the homily was interesting and the people in church were friendly.  After a year of test driving it, we pulled the trigger and signed up.

It has been the right decision for us. We miss seeing our friends from our old parish at Mass.  But we can always make plans to see them.  We see more and more people from our old parish at our new parish.  And most of all, we are happy.




No comments: