July 21, 2007

Woo-hoo! I made the paper

My diocese has been conducting a study of the parishes in the area of county that I live in that will result in the consolidation of several parishes. This was already done in another area of the diocese a few years ago and I am sure that this will continue until the entire diocese has been reviewed.

One of the reasons that the consolidation is being done is that in about 25 years, our diocese is projected to have only about 90 priests. Right now there are about 140 parishes (give or take 10 or so)in the diocese. It doesn't take a math major to figure out that the number of parishes needs to be reduced.

The recommendations of the study group (that were made up of parishioners and pastors of the churches in our area) were presented to the bishop on Thursday evening and the story made the paper on Friday morning. Yesterday afternoon, I received a call from a reporter from the paper who was doing a story on how parishioners felt about the recommendations and we talked about the impact on my parish and how I felt about it. Well, this morning's top story (don't forget that Saturday is a slow news day) was this story and I was quoted several times in the article.

So, as Barb from SFO Mom kindly called it in an e-mail I received from her this morning, I've had my 15 minutes of fame and life goes on here.

No comments: