September 14, 2007

King Tut - how'd you get so funky

Yesterday, my husband and I and three friends traveled to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia to see the King Tut exhibit. It was a wonderful day with excellent weather and good friends, filled with laughter.

What can I say about the artifacts in the exhibit except that when those Egyptians made something, they made it to last! That all those items lasted for so many years is amazing. And to be in such excellent condition - wow, it was an exhibit not to be missed.

Of course, when I planned the trip, I carefully chose to go in September figuring that with school just being back in session, there wouldn't be many school groups there and especially since we went late in the day. Boy did I make a mistake. The one thing that I didn't consider was the Jewish holiday which meant that most public schools in the area, and especially in Philadelphia, would be closed. Well, the place was packed. And I am not a big fan of crowds. So the lesson I learned was to look at the calendar more closely and check to see if the schools might be closed for reasons I might not think of.

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Now I've got that song stuck in my head....I got to see this in March with Middle Sister's class. It's got to be better, viewing it in a group of adults rather than spending the whole time counting heads. But I did have the chance to be impressed at the intricate detail work on the pieces displayed. Amazing!

Shall I serenade you on Wednesday with my Steve Martin impression?