October 30, 2007

Halloween - my least favorite Hallmark holiday or Boo Humbug!


No offense to the fine folks at Hallmark, or to the manufacturers of chocolate (I would never want to offend them), but I have to admit that my least favorite day has to be Halloween.

Even as a child, I would dread Halloween. As the middle of October rolled around, I would start to panic about a costume. I really disliked trying to figure out what I wanted to be. As the third and last child in the family, I think my parents were about "Halloweened" out as costumes were left up to me from about 4th grade on. More often than not, my costume was thrown together at the eleventh hour and usually fell into either the "hobo" category or the "old lady in her robe" category.

And my passion for Halloween did not increase when my son was little. I struggled too with helping him to pick out a costume. By the time he was in 5th grade, he began to be scheduled to serve the vigil mass for All Saints Day, so his trick or treating ended then. For the next several years, his costume consisted of a baseball jersey, sweatpants pulled up to look like baseball pants, a pair of socks that looked like baseball socks and stirrups and a hat. That costume was retired last year and did not make the trip to college.

So where will I be tomorrow night. Not home, but out with my husband enjoying a night out on the town! Sorry kids, no candy at my house.

1 comment:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

I thought I was the only one!! I dread it every year. I always tell anyone who will listen: This is my least favorite holiday. We have seven children, and it really is a nightmare trying to get them dressed and out the door (never mind trying to find/buy them a costume in the first place).

It astounds me to hear that Halloween has become the biggest holiday of all now. Huh?? I wish it would just go away. And the candy, too!

Blessings, Leila
www.CatholicMomsMatchmaking.com