January 13, 2008

An empty nest - again!

All is quiet at our house tonight. We drove our son back to college today. It was wonderful having him home on semester break, but he was anxious to get back to his friends and start a new semester. No tears were shed. In fact, we had to drag him away from a room down the hall to say good bye. The boy whose room he was in brought back a 42" flat panel TV to school. I assume that his room will be the designated hangout on the 4th floor of the dorm!

I am happy that he has adjusted to college so well. He had a good first semester earning 2 A's and 3 B's, joined the crew team and is a freshman class senator in the student government. We are proud that he is participating in some extra-curricular activities, something neither my husband nor I did in college - my husband lived at home and commuted to school while working to pay for it and I went only 14 miles from home which made it too convenient to come home every weekend and not getting involved in anything. I applaud our son for going far enough away to not be tempted to come home too often and getting involved at school.

So, while we will miss him, we are so glad that he is a good student. And he goes to mass too!

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

What, no more pole-vaulting?

Middle Sister still wants to try that. So does Big Brother, actually, but he thinks the distance coach would kill him if he did.

I'm glad college is going so well for your son.