October 14, 2008

Mono a mono

The boy has mono. He has been burning the candle at both ends between his course load, getting up at 5 am to row and student government. He rowed on Saturday and we were there to cheer him on. He looked terrible. I insisted that he stop at the health center at school. He did on Sunday morning before we met for breakfast. They suspected mono, but wanted him to come and see the nurse practitioner at noon. He did and she sent him for blood work this morning. By noon, the verdict was in and the winner was mono. No surprise to me, I suspected it yesterday.

So later today, he will see the doctor at school and see what is up for him. Thank God for my good friend Nurse N who made some phone calls (a medical practice she works for part-time is the same practice that staffs the school health center) and made certain that J will get the health care he needs away from home.

So later today we will find out if the fall rowing season is over for him - I feel certain that it is, but I will let the doctor make that determination.

Post Script: He saw the doctor at school today and will be out of commission on the rowing front for at least two weeks. He'll be re-evaluated and the final determination will be made. He got some meds to reduce the inflammation and hopefully will start feeling better soon.

Update on 10/16 - the boy is feeling better. He is home for the weekend and plans on resting. His appetite has not been affected - he ate dinner like he hadn't eaten in a month - well, at least not edible food.


abb said...

That stinks! Hope it's a mild case. Nurse N and family will certainly see that your boy is properly cared for. And, don't forget, I'm close by if home-made chicken is called for!

Yep - Partner's would be a perfect place for the four of us to meet!

Mental P Mama said...

Oh, that is awful. I had mono in college, and it was dreadful. Wishing him a speedy recovery. He has good caregivers on his team!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Prayers for a speedy recovery...hope he is feeling better soon. Tell him not to overdo the second the doctor clears him for class...

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

How's he doing? Big Brother had a mild case--first showed symptoms on 9/11 (yes, THAT 9/11)...and was back in school the day the test came back saying he had mono. I hope J is doing better now that he has meds.

Debbie said...

Yuck. I had mono in the 9th grade. It was awful. It sounds like he may have a mild case, which would be wonderful!

Glad he's home for the best TLC!

P.S. Taking you up on your toilet idea after the "blue is gone" :)