August 17, 2009

Monday Musing

It's Monday and I can't believe that my son will be home from school for only one more Monday. Where did the summer go?

It's been a different kind of summer for us. The loss of our Maxie set the tone for a more quiet summer than usual. I just wasn't up to the usual since so many things were different with out her around. There was no one to follow me up and down the steps or sit next to me on the sofa. No clicking of nails on the kitchen floor. No underwear stolen from the laundry and deposited at the top of the steps or under the dining room table. Eating has been much quieter with our our little beggar looking for vegetables. No one follows me the length of the pool as I swim. This is one summer that I will be glad to have behind me.

Break to dry tears and blow nose!

But I am looking forward to the fall and a long anticipated vacation. We will be traveling to Alaska with my parents on a cruise/land trip - a trip my parents have wanted to take for a long time. I know we'll have lots of fun and I will certainly enjoy spending time with my parents who are 80 and almost 87. It's so important to spend quality time with them. We are planning on taking them on a helicopter ride to view the glaciers. Having viewed the Grand Canyon in this manner, I know I want to see the glaciers that way too. And heck, I may never get back there, so I might as well do it up.

So now I must return to my day. This includes shopping, getting our son ready to return to school, this year in a town house so it requires a bit more than clothes and linens. And this week it also means taking care of McNaab, our neighbor's dog who is spending the week with us while his owners vacation in North Carolina. While they are there, they will visit with Nurse Nancy and her family as they are vacationing in just up the road from them.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there kiddo...and I hope you document your trip for us...that would be wonderful to see.

Mental P Mama said...

Busy Busy Busy...I will beep when I drive by on Wednesday;)

Deb said...

An Alaskan cruise!!! How wonderful....you must take photos!!!

Sue said...

Hi Ellen....always hard when the kids leave to go back to school...I love that you are taking a trip to Alaska with the folks...that's wonderful at their age that they want to travel...I remember years back calling my father-in-law up in Jersey and asking him if he would like to join us on a trip to Germany...since he was there during the war and talked about it all the time we thought it would be nice....don't remember how old he was at the time...he's now 87.
His response...and the daughter can confirm.....
"Why the hell would I want to go anywhere with "you people".....and he just gets better with age....