October 02, 2009

Where I've Been.

I've been off the radar for much of the last two weeks. After our return from Alaska (pics of our land trip to follow) my mother had spinal fusion surgery. So being the "good" daughter that I am, I've been spending much time shuttling between NJ and PA to help my parents out.

My mother had spinal surgery about three years ago, but that procedure proved to be unsuccessful. At a seminar at the local hospital, my mother heard a presentation by a local spinal surgeon and decided to have a second opinion about her problem. He was optimistic that he could help her and after much prayer and consideration of the options available, she decided to schedule the surgery for the week after our return from Alaska.

She's recuperating at home now after six days in the hospital and another 10 days in rehab. While she is still in pain from the surgery, and we won't know whether the surgery was successful until after the incision heals and there is significant bone growth on the fusion, there are some good signs - the pain that she had radiating into her leg is gone and the pain she feels is different - most probably the surgical pain.

Get well Mom. Coming home yesterday was a wonderful birthday gift for Dad.


5 comments:

abb said...

Glad she's doing so well! Sending positive vibes her way.

Stay dry tomorrow...

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Praying for continued good recovery for your mom!

Mental P Mama said...

Hugs to Mama!!!

Mental P Mama said...

Keeping her in my prayers and thoughts! Take care of yourself, too;)

Nurse Nancy said...

So glad that Peg is home. Praying for a quick and successful recovery!