October 21, 2010

My new favorite feeder

Last week my husband and I were supposed to go to upstate New York to take a foliage cruise on the Hudson River and tour the Culinary Institute of America and West Point. But my husband had a meeting on Friday that he couldn't miss.

So as not to disappoint my parents, that cute couple from my last post, we visited them from Wednesday night until Thursday just to hang out.

Now I love to feed the birds, especially the cardinals, but I wanted to find a place to get safflower seed a bit cheaper than $1.25 a pound. So I did some internet searching and found a feed store near my parents who sold it for about 68 cents a pound. Since I was going to purchase at least 50 lbs., we decided to make a road trip with them. It was well worth the trip.

Not only did we get the bargain safflower seed, but they had this really cool feeder there.

This is the Droll Yankee Whipper Squirrel Proof Feeder (also photo source for the next three photos). It's so cool.


It has spring loaded perches that collapse under the weight of a squirrel, thus sending them to the ground and leaving the feeder free for the birds.

So now we have lots of this going on in our back yard:

Instead of this:

8 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

OMG! I need one of those!
<><

Mental P Mama said...

Fun! Love those baffled squirrels;)

Diane said...

I have to laugh at the squirrel dumping!
And thank you for your kind thoughts. They're very appreciated!

abb said...

I'm getting one of those! I had the battery kind that would twirl the squirrel around, but it broke after about a week.
Your header is just gorgeous!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

ROFL!!!! I may need to look for a feeder like that. Although mine is partially over a concrete slab, so that might get a little messy.

Sue said...

We hate squirrels....The Boss shot one in the butt with his high powered beebee gun and didn't kill the thing....so for spite he comes every single day and sits on our front porch and eats at the paint on the steps....he just sits and nibbles at the wood....he then spends the afternoons out on the back deck seeing what damage he can do there....He has made our home his home...I don't think anything will get rid of this guy...

The Single Nester said...

I have stopped myself from getting a bird feeder because of those dang squirrels. I will have to try this!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

This one looks like it may work better than the one I currently have. It's is supposed to shut down, too...but it's a challenge to keep it adjusted where it's just right and won't shut down when several birds land on the feeder. Thanks for the tip...just may have to order one of these.