January 30, 2011

On it's way to Junior Birdman

Nurse Nancy's son, Junior Birdman, is quite the lover of baseball. About two years ago, I found this fabric on clearance when a fabric store nearby was closing. So I purchased it. And it sat with my sewing things untouched. Until two weekends ago. And the urge to sew got to me and I set about making some things for him.


First up was a hat. I wanted to work out the settings on my machine and make sure that I wasn't going to have a problem with lint in the machine (which has happened to me in the past and caused the bobbin to jam). I like the hat and will probably make some more with some of the fleece remnants I have.

Next up was this shirt. I like it because it has kind of a funnel neck - not a mock or turtle neck, and a bit warmer than a crew neck. Top stitching the sleeves was a bit of a challenge, but it worked out just fine.

Finally, I made some pants. Because JBM is quite skinny, I used a cord and slide for adjusting the waist, rather than putting in an elastic waist band that might be either too big or too small. I'm hoping the pants will be long enough that he'll get this winter and next winter out of them.


And here it is, the entire ensemble. Hope it keeps him nice and warm! Sorry it too so long!

6 comments:

abb said...

Very cool apres ski outfit! Jules just looked at it and asked if she send you the fabric, will you make one for Connor?
But before you do that, I'd like one for ME! You are a superb seamstress!

WV: impor: It's impor for you to know how very good you are with the needle!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Cute! I didn't know you sew. I have a nice machine here, thanks to Mom, but no clue how to use it. I may need to pick your brain.

Nurse Nancy said...

OMG....so cute and so cool! Cannot wait until JBM sees them. I can just picture the smile. Thanks for doing this...if he waited for me to sew, it would be a very long wait.

Laura~peach~ said...

so cute and you are so talented!

Mental P Mama said...

Fantastic!!! Was there no NYY fabric???? :)

Ellen said...

Sorry MPM, NYY fabric would probably break my machine!!! Phillies fabric, on the other hand, would run smoothly with no jamming or broken needles!!!