May 14, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

What can I say about Mother's Day this year, except that I am so thankful to have been able to celebrate it with my Mother.

This time last year, we were waiting for my mom to have open heart surgery.  She was diagnosed with a failing aortic valve and at least one blocked artery in April of last year.  She would need to have surgery to replace the valve and bypass the blockage or she would have about 9 months to live.  The surgery was considered high risk because she is a diabetic with high blood pressure and bad kidney function.  This diagnosis was sandwiched between the loss of one of her sisters and her remaining brother.

Her cardiologist sent her to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania to consult with the chief of Cardiac surgery and her consultation was May 1.  He was wonderful.  Realizing that the procedure needed to be done sooner than later, she was scheduled for May 23.  We celebrated Mother's Day wondering if it would be our last.  Through prayer, wonderful doctors and nurses, therapists and all the other hospital staff, the surgery went very well and she was only in the hospital for about 8 days.

So this year I was so happy to celebrate Mother's Day with my mother who taught me the value of my faith in God and the power of prayer.  Because last year, my prayers were answered.

Photo taken in November 2013, six months after my Mom's surgery while we were doing our annual Nut Roll making.

No comments: