May 19, 2007

A clean bill of health


Thursday was Maxie's annual check up at the veterinarian. She is our 13 year old bichon/poodle/shi tzu mix. She is a sweet dog who has had more than her share of health problems. Yesterday, I received a call from the vet that all her blood work came back normal and her physical exam was good and except for some age related hearing loss and a cataract in one eye, she is in good health!

Maxie is plagued by seasonal allergies. About nine years ago, she was suffering so badly from allergies that I took her to University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital for allergy testing. The result was that she is extremely allergic to ragweed. As the vet said, "on a scale of 0 to 4, she scored a 10." So for the past nine years, she has had to have allergy shots weekly from July to the first frost and every three weeks for the rest of the year.

Five years ago, in an effort to fully sympathize with me after my first knee surgery, she tore the ligament in her hind leg that required surgical repair. Then last year, after my second knee surgery, she again felt sympathy toward me and tore the ligament in her other hind leg, and this too required surgery to repair it.

Add to these, her occasional bouts with non-specific colitis that require her to stay at the vet's for dehydration and medication to settle her stomach, Maxie has had her share of medical problems. But I wouldn't trade her for the world. She is my best little buddy at home and gives me unconditional love.

No comments: