November 08, 2007

Something to consider when you write your Christmas cards

(A friend passed this on to me and I thought I would share it with anyone who reads my blog:

When you are writing out your Christmas cards this year, please consider sending a card to one of our injured military service persons. You can address it as follows:

A Recovering American soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
Washington,D.C. 20307-5001

Your kindness will brighten the day for some deserving service person.)

NOTE: Barb let me know that sending mail this way won't get to the soldiers. She sent me this link: http://gijunecleaver.blogspot.com/2007/11/send-christmasgreeting-to-wounded.html for ideas of how to help.

This request reminded me of my childhood. I grew up in a town that had an Army Hospital and my neighbor's job was to transport soldiers from Ft. Dix in NJ to the Army Hospital about an hour and a half away in PA. His wife was our Brownie Scout leader and for many holidays, like Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Fourth of July and others, our troop would make tissue flowers, tint the edges in a color appropriate for the holiday and her husband would distribute them to the soldiers that he transported. It was a small and seemingly insignificant thing to do, but it brightened the day for many men who were returning from Vietnam who were missing limbs, were scarred or needed rehabilitation from their injuries.

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Read here:
http://gijunecleaver.blogspot.com/2007/11/send-christmasgreeting-to-wounded.html

My friend Michelle let me know that those cards won't get there. She set me up with some links to ways to help soldiers.