January 14, 2021

Hmmm. Thought my blog was lost in space

 So, for the past two or three years, every time I tried to access my blog, I couldn't find it.  Now, considering my last entry was over four years ago, I just figured that my blog was just closed out.  Then a few weeks ago, it suddenly re-appeared.  

So, what has happened in my life since August of 2016?  Well, lots.  

In 2018, I had my right hip replaced.  I was fortunate that it was a pretty easy surgery for me.  I was driving in two weeks, pretty good considering it was my right hip.

In 2019, I lost my beloved Mom.  Her health was fragile for the year before she passed.  She seemed to get pneumonia pretty easily.  Early the morning of September 23, she was calling my dad, who has the worst hearing, I went to her and realized that she was not good.  I called for an ambulance, but by the time they got her to the hospital, she was gone.  It was pretty peaceful, for which I am grateful.  She was four months shy of her 91st birthday.  My dad, who turned 98 in October, is a bit lost without her.  But God was good and took her before Covid and she did not die alone.  And for that, I ams so thankful.

So, our new life includes my dad.  He's pretty amazing.  At 98, he is pretty sharp, reads the paper every day, loves to watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune and his weekly calls from his grandchildren.  I am so thankful to still have him and cherish every minute of my time with him.  

Besides Covid, 2020 was a crazy year for me.  In January I had my left knee replaced. (a 60th birthday present to myself)  I had put it off for so long to take care of my mom, and it was long overdue.  Almost one year later, I am still having issues with bending it and it's a major frustration.  Six weeks after my surgery, I was scheduled to have a Manipulation under Anesthesia to help with the bend.  Thanks to Covid, it was postponed to 12 weeks post surgery and really didn't help much. Seven months of Physical therapy didn't help much either.  

In June, I went for an echocardiogram, as I knew I had a problem with my aortic valve.  When the te)ch asked me if I was having problems breathing, I knew something was up.  My cardiologist confirmed that my valve went from "moderate to severe" stenosis to just "severe" stenosis.  I had a cardiac catheterization to confirm it (surgery #2 post cover, #3 for the year).  I could wait and see, or see the surgeon.  I opted to  the surgeon.   

I chose the surgeon who operated on my mom in 2013, replacing her aortic valve and doing a by-pass.  I only needed a valve replacement.  The surgeon was so great with my mom, answering questions, explaining things so that we could all understand, so it was a no brainer.  Plus, he is the chief of cardiovascular surgery at a major university hospital.  So, on September 15th, I had open heart surgery to have my valve replaced.  Surgery went really well, and four days after my surgery, I was discharged.  I am so thankful to have been on top of this issue and to have surgery before I suffered any other complications.

So, here we are in 2021.Still hanging out at home because of Covid.  Enjoying time with my husband and dad and occasional visits from my son and his girlfriend.    

I'll see how this blogging thing goes from here.  I hope to post more often, but I don't know if I will.  


No comments: